Friday, April 16, 2010

day 05 - a song that reminds you of someone

"i've never been to me" (charlene)



one of the few songs that i can sing in karaoke.haha.this song actually reminds me of my sister.i was in grade two, and she was in grade ten.i found this cute scented stationery filled with words of this song.my sister wrote them down in her beautiful handwriting, and at first i thought it was a poem.i was wondering about the
"took the hand of a preacherman" bit.i and only a few years later did i fully understand the context of the song.and no that's not the reason why this reminds me of my sister.she will kill me.haha.

this reminds me of her singing this along with her friends.i would look at them in awe, these grown-up girls in their gregg shoes and nenuco cologne huddled together in my sister's room.of course, they ignored the pesky li'l girl who wanted to be part of their group as well.they would sing this loudly and giggle afterwards.then they would talk about sipping champagne on a yacht in the middle of the Mediterranean.and i would think, "is that supposed to be fun?"


lyrics:

Hey lady, you, lady, cursin' at your life
You're a discontented mother and a regimented wife
I've no doubt you dream about the things you never do
But I wish someone had a talk to me like I wanna talk to you
Ooh I've been to Georgia and California, oh, anywhere I could run
Took the hand of a preacherman and we made love in the sun
But I ran out of places and friendly faces because I had to be free

I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me

Please lady, please, lady, don't just walk away
'Cause I have this need to tell you why I'm all alone today
I can see so much of me still living in your eyes
Won't you share a part of a weary heart that has lived a million lies
Oh I've been to Nice and the isle of Greece
Where I sipped champagne on a yacht
I moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo and showed 'em what I've got
I've been undressed by kings and I've seen some things
That a woman ain't s'posed to see

I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me

Hey, you know what paradise is? It's a lie
A fantasy we create about people and places as we'd like them to be
But you know what truth is?
It's that little baby you're holding, and it's that man you fought with this morning
The same one you're going to make love with tonight. That's truth, that's love

Sometimes I've been to cryin' for unborn children
That might have made me complete
But I, I took the sweet life and never knew I'd be bitter from the sweet
I spent my life exploring the subtle whoring that cost too much to be free

Hey lady, I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me

I've been to paradise - never been to me
(I've been to Georgia and California, and anywhere I could run)
I've been to paradise - never been to me
(I've been to Nice and the isle of Greece
While I sipped champagne on a yacht)
I've been to paradise - never been to me
(I've been to cryin' for unborn children )


**

had dinner at centro hotel with my colleagues.and somebody gave me this bar of chocolate from...almaty, kazakhstan.coolness.







this morning, we went out for breakfast buffet at chow king. baby was behaving. well, she was sleeping! haha.



later, we met with mr t's ex-colleague who also has a baby girl the same age as baby.can't wait for the playdates!

No comments:

Post a Comment